Validation of uncertainty-oriented systems models
During a two-year fellowship offered by the IIASA Postdoctoral Program, I worked on the validation of uncertainty-oriented systems models. I combined the validation approaches from decision sciences and environmental science, and employed an extensive literature analysis as well as an online survey conducted among modelling practitioners.
Eker S, Rovenskaya E, Obersteiner M, Langan S (2018). Practice and perspectives in the validation of resource management models. Nature Communications. 9 (1): e5359. Commentary by Andrea Saltelli
Eker S, Rovenskaya E, Langan S , & Obersteiner M (2019). Model validation: A bibliometric analysis of the literature. Environmental Modelling & Software 117: 43-54.
National systems mapping of well-being
Measuring well-being has become a major theme in public policy and governance in recent years, as researchers and policy makers attempt to unpack what exactly constitutes a "good life". In this project, together with the researchers from the IIASA's Advanced Systems Analysis program, I developed a conceptual model of how human capital is formed and it affects national well-being. Based on the OECD indicators for well-being (Better Life Index), the project identified the interconnections between these indicators following a grounded theory approach on academic literature. Hence, it brought a systems thinking perspective to current compartmental well-being measurement approaches.
- Eker, S, Ilmola-Sheppard, L. (2020). Systems Thinking to Understand National Well-Being from a Human Capital Perspective. Sustainability 12 (5): 1931.
Resilience of the Transport Network in Bangladesh
This project at TU Delft, funded by the World Bank, evaluated the vulnerabilities of the Bangladesh's multi-modal transport network to climate change, specifically to flood events. In particular, I contributed to the development of a TCP-based distributed simulation architecture called Sim0MQ (based on ZeroMQ messaging library) and incorporated it into the model-based scenario analysis software EMA-Workbench. I was also responsible for generating georeferenced flood scenarios.
- Eker S, Kwakkel J (2018). Including robustness considerations in the search phase of Many-Objective Robust Decision Making. Environmental Modelling and Software 105: 201-216.
HEW: Integrated decision-making about Housing, Energy and Wellbeing
This project at UCL Institute for Environmental Design and Engineering was funded by EPSRC Platform Grant on Complex Built Environment Systems (CBES). While contributing to the participatory modelling workshops of the project, I was mainly responsible for developing a system dynamics simulation model to understand the mechanisms behind fragmented decision making in the UK's housing sector, and for organizing and coordinating the stakeholder workshops. I also contributed to the development and use of an online interactive simulation environment (HEW-ISE) in stakeholder workshops.
- Eker S, Zimmermann N, Carnohan S, Davies M (2017). Participatory system dynamics modelling for housing, energy and wellbeing interactions. Building Research & Information 46 (7):738-754.
- Eker S, Zimmermann N (2016). Using Textual Data in System Dynamics Model Conceptualization. Systems 4 (3):28.
Dealing with uncertainties in the Dutch gas sector: An exploratory modelling and analysis approach
My PhD project was within a large research program called Energy Delta Gas Research (EDGAR), funded by the Dutch natural gas production and utility companies, as wells as the Ministries of Internal Affairs and Finance. I worked towards providing policy recommendations based on a robust decision making framework that acknowledges deep uncertainties, and using a simulation model I developed to capture the natural, economic and social dimensions of the Dutch energy sector, natural and renewable gas in particular.
- Eker S, van Daalen E, Thissen W (2017). Incorporating stakeholder perspectives into model-based scenarios: Exploring the futures of the Dutch gas sector. Futures 93: 27-43.
- Eker S, van Daalen E (2015). A model-based analysis of biomethane production in the Netherlands and the effectiveness of the subsidization policy under uncertainty. Energy Policy 82:178-196.
- Eker S, Slinger J, van Daalen E, Yücel G (2014). Sensitivity analysis of graphical functions. System Dynamics Review 30 (3):186-205.
- Eker S, van Daalen E (2013). Investigating the effects of uncertainties in the upstream gas sector. International Journal of System of Systems Engineering 4 (2):99-139.